Saturday, July 17, 2010

Star Trek II Space Ship Battle Tribute Animation

Yeah, a whole decade to complete this. One can't believe the time and energy put into this project, plus the enormous coordinating nightmare. So, I will summerize:

Started this in June of 2001 as a "quick" and silly animation of Star Trek Ships fighting. I believe I was using my old Micron 166MHz computer sporting windows 95. I think Paint Shop Pro was involved, but I can't remember what I used to animate it with. I remember I was making my computer overload with the maximum hurt as I maxed it in rendering the animation. In fact, I had to save it in two parts or the computer would crash. So for some unknown reason, I saved it to a floppy disk, for archiving I guess. I believe I had to shrink it down, loosing lots of resolution. Then I forgot about it.

Yesterday I found the floppy disc! How the hell did I get it off the floppy disc? Well my Dad, actually took out his old floppy drive and installed in his somewhat newer computer. I got the files transfered, but had no internet or flash drive, so I saved it to a CD. The files are in evil .AVI, and for the life of me, I can't get them into iPhoto or iMovie. I hate Quicktime by the way. I conference with a friend for about an hour trying all sorts of conversion tricks, but still no go. So finally, I find some free conversion softwear, but it leaves a watermark. Luckily I can crop it out as its on the top bar. Phew! So I add a couple more scenes this afternoon, some music, and walla! Done. Enjoy.


whiteyford said...

that is entertaining! music is good, legit star trek soundtrack?

Dan said...

Yep, but sped up to match the intensity of the updated graphics.

CounterFett said...

Recommending this to my friends!

Dan said...

Awesome, Thanks Papa CounterFett!

LEon said...

I have to say I am pretty impress with your creativity. No Spock?

Dan said...

LEon, thanks. Don't tell my I have to go back for Spock?


Related Posts with Thumbnails